Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Walking Ritual

When Spence and I go out for walks around the block, we have a ritual. We run to the park, unless he's to busy with his nose against the ground.

After that, we either jog or walk, depending on if he's being nosy and snuffling every single blade of grass we walk past. Jogging is great. It's the only time I let him have his full six feet of leash, so I don't step on him. We jog, and he looks so bloody happy it should be a crime :P

My favorite part of our walking rituals? When we get back home. Haha, that sounds mean, doesn't it? No, not when we get inside. It's when we get to the driveway.

Spencer rushes ahead of me, and I let him have his whole leash. He sits or lays down, then turns his head to me. I sit six feet away, and he runs, pouncing into my lap. He hugs me, or cuddles me, and I feel warm because his fur is so thick. He sometimes rolls onto his back, laying across my lap, head propped up on my foot, and he just stares. After ten minutes, we get up and come inside. But those moments in the driveway? They're special to us both.

If anyone walks by, or tries to pet him, he gets up and moves away. Those are our moments, and we don't share them with anyone. Spencer and I are on the same wave length in those minutes, and we both treasure them. Its the time when the line between man and dog fades, and we're just two souls looking to each other for comfort. Two beings, huddled together in the cold, knowing that it's going to be okay, cause we have each other to hold onto.

No comments:

Post a Comment